Friday 10 August 2012

Blueberry Mad

It's official, summer has turned me and my family blueberry mad. There are blueberries everywhere in my house, including the larder because we've now run out of room in the fridge. So as you can guess, due to their short life span, it's becoming quite a challenge to eat them all. Therefore I thought, being the noble and selfless person that I am, I'd try to use most of them up in various baking escapades. My first use of them were in the 'Healthy' Blueberry Muffins however that merely dented the enormous quantity of blueberries, therefore I moved on to bigger and better things in the form of... Blueberry Cheesecake.

Personally, I don't really like cheesecake anymore. This shocking turn of events probably occurred due to the fact that my GCSE Food Tech final product was a cheesecake, and therefore I spent about three months testing every single possible variation on the classic vanilla cheesecake, so I'm slightly cheesecaked out. However I was required to contribute something to a barbecue, and as most people love cheesecake and it's quite a summery dessert I thought it would be the perfect opportunity.

I was er just slightly indecisive in choosing exactly what cheesecake I was going to make and therefore ended up making it the morning of the barbecue, so had to go for a baked cheesecake as there wasn't enough time for a chilled one to set. 






Ingredients

10 digestive biscuits
70g melted unsalted butter
600g cream cheese
2 tbsp plain flour
175g caster sugar
a few drops vanilla extract
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
142ml pot sour cream
400g blueberries
1 tbsp icing sugar


Method

1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Crush the digestive biscuits, either in a food processor or in a plastic bag and with a rolling pin. Mix with the melted butter and press into a 20cm springform tin and bake for 5 mins, then set aside to cool.

2. Beat the cream cheese with the flour, caster sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, egg yolk and sour cream until light and fluffy.

3. Stir in half of the blueberries and pour into the tin. Bake for 40 mins or until set but slightly wobbly in the centre, leave to cool in the tin. 

4. Keeping a few out to sprinkle on top, put the rest of blueberries in a pan with 1 tbsp icing sugar. Heat until juicy, squash with a fork and then push through a sieve. Serve the cheesecake when cooled with the sauce and extra blueberries.





Sorcha (whos barbeque it was) with the cheesecake.

It was all eaten so I'm gonna take that as it being quite nice!
Hope everyone's having a lovely summer and enjoying the Olympics
- Ellie x

No comments:

Post a Comment