Tuesday 15 May 2012

One Direction Topped Cupcakes (yes, really)

First of all, HUGE apologies for neither of us posting for over a month, I know our faithful follower (hi Polly) was very disappointed but I think our looming exams are a good enough excuse.

However, I realised that staring out of the window and rearranging my desk doesn't actually count as revision so I decided to do something productive and bake not once but twice (don't worry the second bake will be blogged about soon). Our friend Scarlett has been away living the high, exam free, life of a chalet girl for almost five months and she came home a few weeks ago which was extraordinarily exciting! So to mark the occasion, we threw her a surprise party in my basement which, if I may say so myself, was very well executed and (hopefully, she may be lying...) was a complete surprise. 
And what's a surprise party without cupcakes, especially One Direction ones. 

Before you ask, my mum - being the fangirl that she is - bought me the cake toppers for Christmas and I'd been saving them for the perfect occasion.



Ingredients:
(makes 12)
4oz self raising flour
4oz stork margarine
4oz caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
a few drops of vanilla essence

6oz soften unsalted butter
12oz icing sugar
red food colouring
a splash of milk
rose water to taste

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and put the cupcake cases in a suitable tin 

2.Although I once again used my trusty childrens cookbook recipe, I've taken to creaming the fat and sugar first because I think it gives a better texture. So, cream the stork and sugar slightly until smooth.

3. Sift in the flour and baking powder, mix until incorporated. It's wise to do about half of the flour, then mix and then do the other half so that the flour doesn't go everywhere.

4. Add the eggs and vanilla essence and whisk for a few minutes until smooth.

5. Spoon the mixture into the cases until about 2/3 full but don't worry too much, there are much more important things to be stressed about in life. I used metallic silver and gold cases which I think worked really well with the pink icing and made the cakes much more exciting but be careful because the cases get hot in the oven!

6. Bake for about twenty minutes, to determine whether they're done tap the top of one lightly and it should spring back. Also insert a skewer and if they're cooked it will come out clean.

7. Leave to cool on a wire rack



For the icing:

1. Beat the butter until smooth

2. Sift the icing sugar in a bit at a time, otherwise you will have icing sugar as well as flour all over the kitchen. Add the milk whenever you like, it makes mixing easier so the earlier the better really.

3. Add a few drops of red food colouring and mix, adding more until you get the desired colour. But remember if it's liquid dye that too much will both make the icing red (unless you want it red)  and alter the taste/consistency.

4. Add the rose water to taste. I personally put a few drops in a spoon and incorporate it like that because too much rose water is a soap tasting disaster.

5. Pipe the icing onto the (cooled!) cakes. I used a large star nozzle and I just about covered all the cakes, I would probably use a slightly smaller nozzle next time.

6. Add the cake toppers while the icing is still wet to ensure they stick but don't press them down too hard or they'll be ruined by the moisture of the icing.

and voila :)







Scarlett with Zayn:

Our fave (and only) follower with her cupcake - She likes all members equally (that's a lie, she's a Harry girl through and through):

Even if you don't like One Direction, the cupcakes are still delicious and you can eat them with your eyes closed if you so wish. 

- Ellie x


No comments:

Post a Comment