Monday 12 March 2012

Not very adventurous but still delicious chocolate chip biscuits

Typically I suppose these would be called cookies, but I try very hard to say biscuits most of the time because I'm English and that's what they're called. The Social Services Team at my school sent out a pleading email for biscuits for their fundraising event and, as I reaaaaally want to be on the team next year and I love baking, I thought I'd make some for them. 

I had all sorts of plans but homework and life got in the way so I decided on these simple but delicious biscuits that I seem to make far more often than necessary. I also made them on Pancake Day, and then gave chocolate up for lent so it meant I couldn't actually eat any other than the one slightly misshapen one that I decided to eat as soon as it came out of the oven and promptly burnt my tongue, not a good plan. 

They're really easy and quick to make, and you can just chuck any sort of chocolate in there. I used Cadburys Large Buttons for these.


Ingredients:

5 oz soft brown sugar
5 oz caster sugar
9 oz softened butter
2 beaten eggs
14 oz plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Approx 14 oz chocolate chips but add as many/as little as you want

(this makes a very large amount of biscuits so halving it is perfectly acceptable)


Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5

2. Cream butter and both sugars together until smoothish

3. Add spoonful of flour (so the mixture doesn't curdle) and beaten eggs.

4. Stir in flour a third at a time until fully incorporated.

5. Add chocolate chips/buttons/whatever you want

6. Spoon onto greased tray, leaving enough room to let them spread in the oven, and press down lightly with a fork

7. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown, they will still be squidy.

8. Leave to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack. 









This was only half the amount I made with those measurements!

They're delicious warm or cold and keep for ages :)

- Ellie x 

1 comment:

  1. You are the cutest. And RATINGS for calling them biscuits not cookies, we are not American, Americans are wrong. They ARE biscuits. (and they look yummy... for the record).
    And I personally feel that giving up chocolate for lent is a really bad plan because everyone knows it is necessary for a female to exist/function without going insane and is generally good for the soul.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete